Lea Ann Biafora, MS, RN, OCN, President and Founder
Lea Ann has over two decades of experience in the healthcare industry. With a unique combination of experience as a certified oncology nurse and as an accomplished leader within the health care business sector, Lea Ann has devoted her career to assist cancer patients, within acute care settings, academic medical centers and community settings. She understands the growing complexities and interconnectedness associated with cancer care thanks to her experience in:
- Oncology nursing (infusion, clinical trials, in-patient and out-patient settings)
- Hospital administration (case management/discharge planning, quality improvement, and staff development)
- Insurance administration (managed and developed cancer case management and chronic disease management programs)
In addition to these applied experiences, Lea Ann has extensive academic training as a cancer patient advocate and business leader:
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN®)
- Certified Case Manager (CCM®)
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ)
- Master of Science in Healthcare Administration (MS, Simmons College, Boston)
- Certificate in Hospital Patient Advocacy from the Professional Patient Advocate Institute
Lea Ann understands the importance of patient advocacy and she recognizes the widened systemic gaps in cancer care. After years of witnessing her family, friends, and patients struggle through the frustrating inadequacies within the healthcare system, Lea Ann founded Beacon Oncology Nurse Advocates and dedicated her life and work as an independent health advocate specializing in working with cancer patients and their caregivers.
In 2012, she created a new vision, a feet-on-the-ground patient-focused-consulting “concierge” model that helps cancer patients and their caregivers navigate the broad spectrum of cancer care services (i.e., understanding the latest diagnostic and treatment advancements, evidenced-based treatment options, questions to address and ask, billing/insurance issues) within the healthcare maze. Each engagement is tailored to meet the unique needs of each individual and services can be as little or much as desired. This model encourages each client/patient to be matched with their own oncology nurse to yield improved cancer care outcomes as well as higher satisfaction among the patient and their team of medical providers.
"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
- Eleanor Roosevelt